Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Scrappin' Off The Page


Good morning!  I hope you're all ready for Christmas tomorrow!  Today I have a special gift to share with you.  For Mother's Day this year I made a set of frames for my mom of our family.  This year my cousin's-in-law's mother passed away and my aunt asked me to make something similar for her to give her daughter-in-law for Christmas.  
 
This post is a little pic heavy, but be sure to stick around until the end because I have a mini tutorial for you!

This is what I came up with, using tons of gorgeous flowers and ribbons from Really Reasonable Ribbon:  


And here are a few close-ups of the more decorated frames:







Really Reasonable Ribbon Products Used:

Dots Organza White
Sage Green Grosgrain  
White Grosgrain  
1.5" Lavender Netting
Dots Organza Lavender
Chloe Natural Crochet Lace
Sheer Organza w/Satin Center White  
Diamond Satin Assortment Pastel  
Delicate Stitched Satin Light Orchid 
Wild Orchid Craft 25mm Cottage Roses Mixed Purple/Lilac
Wild Orchid Crafts 20mm Open Roses Purple
 

Now for that mini tutorial I promised you.  The frame I used came from Wal-Mart and is actually black.  I wanted to have something softer, so I decided to paint it white.  But I also wanted it a little shabby looking, so I decided to crackle the paint.  I didn't have any crackle paint on hand and I also didn't want to have to paint the frame twice, so here's the little time-saving trick I used.

 
 
I used glue to crackle the paint.  I don't know if this works with other kinds of glue, but I know it works with Aleene's Tacky Glue. 
 
I just squirt a glob on random spots all over the frame:



Spread it out with my finger:

 

Then I just paint over top of it and voila!  As the paint dries, it gives me nice big cracks.  

The tacky glue is also great for gluing down all these beautiful bows and flowers.

2 comments :

  1. A+WESOME! Can't wait to try it. I'm giving my mother and brother picture frames with photos of my new nephew and the technique was right on time. I will definitely give you a shout out when I finish and post it! Merry Christmas and thanks for sharing the tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful collage. I know your Mom loved it. Great tip on the Tacky Glue! I'll be using that one!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you have to say