Thursday, May 6, 2010

Ribbon Flower Tutorial

Hi, It's Gini and today is Thursday - which will be my day to post for Really Reasonable Ribbon Ramblings. Many of you left comments that you love learning to make ribbon flowers, and so do I! Today, I am going to share with you one that I adopted from a turn of the century millinery book.


I used some of the ribbons from this month's ribbon club - which are all in lovely pinks and browns. This is such a great and fun deal - you get a coordinated group of ribbons (10-15 yards) for $9 including shipping.


So, back to the tutorial! I used the pink and brown polka-dotted grosgrain ribbon for my flower petals and the sheer looped brown organza for the center of the flower. I cut 14 pieces of pink ribbon, each 3.5" long.



I then tied a single knot in the center of each piece.


I glued the ends together (using Beacon 3-in-1 glue - my favorite for ribbon), to form petals.


I punched a circle out of a sheet of scor-tape (another product I love for adhering ribbons). I used this sticky circle to start laying down my petals. As I filled in the gaps, there was not enough scor-tape showing to hold the petals, so then, I glued the rest down.



I put a glop of glue in the center of the rosette, and just swirled the brown organza in a circle to form the middle of the flower.



Then, to adhere my flower to my card, I just pulled off the liner paper from the scor-tape, and stuck it on my card.

I also used the wide brown crocheted ribbon on my card. I love using wide ribbons as a replacement to a layer of paper on a card sketch.

I'm looking forward to sharing inspiring ideas for using ribbons. If you have any suggestions, please leave us a comment.

7 comments :

  1. This card is FABULOUS!!!!! Super cute and love that flower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that flower Gini. You have given me serious inspiration. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful flower--now that's something I can do! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gorgeous flower, Gini! Thank you for the awesome tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. fabulous flower.. thks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ohhhhhhhhhh wow what a perfect card, and i love the flower, i'ts so sweet, thanks for sharing
    hugs angelique

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cool Gini!! I love that organza ribbon!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you have to say