Saturday, November 10, 2012

Humble Beginnings

Welcome to the RRR blog!  Vivian here today to share with you a really easy project that makes for a great holiday gift. 
Don’t forget about upcycling your tins for holiday gifts, folks!  I upcycled this one for my Momma’s upcoming 77th birthday.  Using a rich, saturated palette of her favorite colors – really an autumnal color scheme - accented perfectly with this elegant Shimmer Gold Satin from Really Reasonable Ribbon, a humble mint tin transformed into a handmade gift I think she'll love. 
This is what’s inside.
For this project, I first started out by altering the exterior.  I traced the lid and base shapes onto some Bo Bunny patterned papers, cut them out, and adhered them to the tin as shown below.  I also sanded the edges so that they'd exactly match the contours of my tin.
Next, I used a brown chalk ink to age the edges, workin' the distress more prominently into the corners.
After that, I stamped my sentiment with some great distress alphas from Hampton Art.
The Shimmer Gold Satin was adhered using with a thin layer of hot glue for a nice, long-lasting closure.  Then I added all my embellishments.
For the photo mats, I cut several rectangles that would easily slide in and out of my tin - these measured 2 1/8 in. x 3 1/2 in.  I also rounded the corners.
I slid a length of my Shimmer Gold Satin long enough to accommodate my deck of photo mats between the paper sandwiches and adhered with some permanent adhesive tape.

I left about a 1/8 in. gap between each mat so that it would fold up easily.
OK, bit of a confession.  Once I had this thing assembled, the act of folding and unfolding it over and over again brought me so much pleasure, I started to wonder if something was wrong with me haha!
 With the addition of a beautiful button and a bit of stamping, my project was done.
Thanks so much for visiting with me here today!  This is my very first blog post with 
Really Reasonable Ribbon, y'all!  
Hope you enjoyed, and I look forward to sharing with you again very soon!

18 comments :

  1. Gorgeous project. I love altered tins. Thanks for sharing, Johanne L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Johanne. I'm really jazzed about the chance to share with you here!

      Delete
  2. я в восторге!!beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment. Looking forward to seeing your crafts, too!

      Delete
  3. That is beautiful!!! Your mom will love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dee! You'll be seeing more Momma projects here for sure.

      Delete
  4. I have been saving my tins, but not sure how to decorate. TFS this project. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to give you some ideas. Affordable, meaningful. I'm going to make a bunch thus Christmas.

      Delete
  5. Gosh this is gorgeous and thank you for sharing it your mom will just adore it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandra, for your sweet comment! I hope she likes it! Just mailed it off today along with some crossword puzxle books she's nuts about lol!

      Delete
  6. I just adore this beautiful altered tin Vivian. I'm so glad you shared how you made it. I particularly love the way the ribbon acts as the 'hinges' for your interior pages. Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bonnie! I'm in love with your gorgeous ribbons!

      Delete
  7. This is so pretTy and adorable. I'm sure your mum will love it as well....I do love it , thanks a lot for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm so glad you enjoyed my project!

      Delete
  8. vivian, be proud, you did good for RRR blog!!! congratulations, i love the upcycling!!!
    ava g

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by here, Ava! Looking forward to sharing inspiration with each other!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you have to say