Saturday, June 22, 2013

Ruffled Embellished Ribbons - A Tutorial

Today I want to share an easy tutorial with you on how to make ruffled embellished ribbons. I love the look of ruched ribbon, and adding pearls (my favorite embellishment) seemed a natural thing to do.

You can also add glass beads, charms, or any other kind of embellishment that has a hole for sewing it on.

I chose Noble Peacock Seam Binding for this card today. I love the color and the ease with which it gathers. There are a lot of beautiful colors in the RRR Store here.

Here are the steps:


1. Collect supplies needed. Cut a length of ribbon 2-3 times longer than you want for the final length (Do you like my vintage spool of thread? All wood. Miss those!).


2. Tie a knot in the end of your ribbon, and pass through the ribbon a couple of times, leaving a long enough tail to tuck under a layer or behind your cardstock.


3. Thread one or two pearls or beads onto your needle and pull tight enough to make the ruffle. You can have loose or tight ruffles, or a combination.

Here is an example of the kinds of stitches I took (not planned, not straight, not even! Easy!)

4. Continue adding pearls/beads until you have the look you want. At this point it may look like a tangled mess, but it will straighten out as you gather it up and adhere it to your project.  I used 1/4" Scor-Tape and attached a piece to my card where I wanted the ribbon. Then I carefully arranged and laid it out on the tape to adhere. Tuck in the other end and fasten off.

Here is the final project:
 I hope you will try it!






Stamps: sentiment is from Spring is Sprung (Flourishes)
Paper: Crumb Cake (SU!), Sweet Tooth (Poptone), MME DP
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black 
Accessories: pearls (Kaiser and SU!), pennant dies (SB), scalloped doily die cut (MS), distressing tool, Noble Peacock seam binding (Really Reasonable Ribbon)


14 comments :

  1. Oh Judy - I love this look!!! What a fabby tutorial and this is a great project because the more random the stitches the better for a fun shabby look. Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea looking forward to trying this out. Lovely card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great technique, Judy!! I'm going to have to try this!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  4. great judy, thanks for the share and nice card!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHAT A LOVELY TECHNIQUE JUDY!!!! THANK YOU FOR SHOWING US!!!!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so pretty Judy-I love the look of ruched ribbon as well-thanks for a great tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful! Thank you for showing us how to make this beautiful ribbon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely LOVE this idea, goin to have to try it.
    cathyplus5.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks Amazing and I will certainly love to give it a try!!! Thank you so much for sharing...!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant concept. Thanks for the tutorial. Will certainly give this a go. Hugs Mrs a.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet tutorial Judy!Gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Judy,
    I love this idea! It is awesome. Very creative. I am going to have to try it soon! Your card is beautiful too!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you have to say