Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Korker Bow Tutorial!!!!






Yep!  I promised a tutorial and here it is!  If you have any questions should you decide to try this, please feel free to ask!  I will help you out in any way I can!

Here is what you can make! (the bows not the model LOL)
You will need:

 1/4  inch dowel rods ( I buy a pack of 12)
 wooden clothespins
Baking sheet
hot glue gun

The best size dowel for making Korker ribbon is a 1/4” dowel.  You can experiment with other sizes, but I prefer this one.   You will also need clothespins for securing the ribbon to the dowels. For this example I am using  the July Ribbon Club Assortment, but I typically use 3/8 grosgrain ribbon for a simple Korker bow.

1.  Preheat your oven to 275 Degrees  and then begin wrapping your ribbon around your dowels.   Simply secure one end of your ribbon to one end of a dowel using a clothespin.  Wrap to the opposite end, cut, and secure the end.  You now have both ends secured  around the dowel. Wrap all of your dowels with your ribbons in the same manner, then place all of them on a baking sheet. Put the ribbons into your pre-heated oven and let 'em cook! 

*appx. 25 minutes should do the trick*




When you pull them out of the oven, let the clothespins and dowels cool for about 10 minutes, and then you can remove the ribbons.  It should resemble this:
  My dowels are 12 inches long, which gives me 12 inch long curls of ribbon.  
It is now time to begin cutting.
You can cut in 3 inch, 4 inch or 6 inch lengths…it all depends on how full you want your bow to look.
For this bow set, I chose to cut 4 inch lengths of ribbon, 
so EACH curl of ribbon got cut at the 4 inch mark.

Once I have all of my ribbon cut, I then  separated the strands evenly to create 2 complete matching bows.  OR…..You can add ALL strands together and create a very full and poofy bow!


I use size 10 cotton crochet thread and quite literally tie a secure knot in the center.  I wrap the cotton thread several times around the center, tying knots as I go.    The more times your wrap the thread and tie a knot, the tighter and more secure your ribbons will be.

  
You will then use a 6 inch piece of  ribbon to wrap around the center and secure in place for the center knot.  You simply tie a knot in the length of ribbon, and wrap it around the same spot as the cotton thread…securing it in place with hot glue. 


Here, I have already wrapped my ribbon and secured my preferred clip in place using a glue gun.  Be sure not to get glue on the moving parts of your clip!    You will want to seal the ends of your ribbons at the cut marks to prevent fraying.  I prefer a heat seal, so I use a lighter…but you can use fray check if you prefer that method.




Now that you have your ribbons sealed, secured, and the center knot in, it is time to add any embellishments your heart desires!  Bling, buttons, beads…pretty much ANYTHING can be added to the bow at this point…by simply sewing or gluing it on.  I chose to add in the feathers for a little extra "Umph" to this bow.  
You can see how I simply glued short feather pieces between ribbons by simply placing a dab of hot glue at the base and sticking in a 1 or 2 inch piece of the feather boa.  The hot glue seals in one end at the base, and by adding a TINY dab of hot glue on the exposed end of the feather piece, then you secure your feathers from falling off. 

Once I had my korkers completed, I presented them to Skye, who COULD. NOT. WAIT. to put them into her hair!


I hope you enjoyed this tutorial on how to make a SUPER SIMPLE korker bow for your sweet little girl!  If you have any questions, please ask..I will help you in any way I can!


Have a FANTABULOUS day!

16 comments :

  1. WOW what a super project love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so cute~
    thank you for this tutorial!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool,joydee1963 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super fun...must make one this summer while I'm off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant - thanks for sharing this nice tip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, love it! My niece will be happy! Thanks for tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohh that's so kool... thanks for sharing.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been wondering FOREVERRRRR how to make these bows for my daughter!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS AWESOME AND SIMPLE TUTORIAL!! It is exactly what a very busy but crafty momma needs! I see TONS of these in my daughters future now thanks to you!! I love this blog, you guys ROCK! Always have the absolute best tutorials with ribbon and the variety of projects is unbelievable! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW.............What a brilliant idea.......:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow great job I love the bows. Victoria :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this tutorial and cannot wait to get off work to run hope and make some.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you I really loved the tutorial. My youngest LOVES bows so this is great. The only part that was not clear is how do you secure the bow to the clip???
    thanks
    Susan B.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Susan B.
    when you attach your center knot to the front of your bow, you will flip the bow to the wrong side facing you. You will hot glue your preferred clip to the bow, being careful not to get any glue on the moving parts of your clip. the ends of the ribbon that is the center knot will then wrap around your clip, securing it in place. You will hot glue and trim your ribbon ends. if you would like a more in depth photo, email me and I can send you a couple. It just made for a SUPER long post, so I trimmed a few spots down. :) Maybe I picked the wrong part to condense. :)
    mistyw@nctv.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are just adorable!!!! I cannot wait to TRY to make some for my lil girl.. thanks so much for the tutorial it was really very helpful since i've never ever done anything like this before.. hopefully I dont do too poorly :D thanks again im so excited to try now!!
    -jamie
    babyblueangel_30@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you have to say