Friday, August 31, 2012

Woven Ribbon Headband Tutorial

 
Hi everyone. 
 
Today I have a video tutorial for you for woven ribbon headbands using ribbon and supplies from Really Reasonable Ribbon
 
I've been promising this video for a while and I finally have it done.  My video editing needs some work, but I think it's good enough to give you an idea of how to make them.  My oldest son had the nerve to grow up, get a job and move out without any consideration for my video editing needs if you can believe that.  This is why it's been 2 years since my last video.  If you did not see it, be sure to take a look at my Military Braid Tutorial where I made a pair of fun flip flops.  I'm not of the generation that is born with the knowledge to run all computer programs, so you'll have to bear with me for now.  :)  I'm sure my skills will improve once I have a few videos under my belt.
 
First I have the video for you below.  Then beneath that, I will show you some other headband samples I made.  I encourage you to give this project a try.  Once you get the hang of it, it's really quite easy.


Here is my adorable niece modeling a headband I made with 3/8" double-faced satin using a 1/2" child size headband.  This size headband is probably ideal for girls up to age 7 or 8.  It's a bit shorter end to end when their heads are still a bit smaller.
 
Here is a set I made with a 1/2" child size headband and an 18" doll headband.  These are fun gift ideas so your little girl had a matching headband for her favorite doll.  The larger child sized headband is made with 3/8" grosgrain and the doll sized headband is made with 1/4" grosgrain.


Here is an American Girl doll that belongs to my other niece modeling a doll sized headband.  (Sorry, I couldn't seem to get my niece and the doll at my house at the same time for a photo of both of them together.)

Below are some additional headband samples.  You can make so many variations just by varying the starting ribbon positions or using printed ribbon.  A headband woven with just one color ribbon is also very nice.

 
 

The white headband below is made with 3/8" white satin with grosgrain edge ribbon and would be lovely for a 1st communion or even a flower girl at a wedding.


This final headband is a 1/4" headband and I used 1/4" grosgrain ribbon.  I love the smaller profile of this width of headband.
 
I hope you enjoyed the tutorial and you have success making your own headbands.  They are wonderful for holiday gifts or to sell at holiday craft fairs.
 
If you give this a try, we would love to have you share your finished projects on the RRR Facebook page. 
 
If you have any questions or problems, I'd be happy to help if I can.  Just be sure to leave an email address so I can answer you if your blogger account does not have an email link.
 
~ Bonnie ~
 

9 comments :

  1. So pretty. Thanks so much for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a seriously cool idea : ) It's fun to have accessories for every season : ) Love it!
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness Bonnie, you did a fabulous job with the tutorial! Your niece is adorable modeling the headband. Thanks for sharing this weaving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bonnie,

    These are absolutely gorgeous! I can totally see myself making these while watching television with my family. Thanks so much for the tutorial.

    Hugs,
    Snoopy :D
    Snoopy's Homemade Fun

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, these are awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You definitely have the tutorial process down. Congratulations on conquering new-to-you technology. This weaving method is fascinating. I wonder what smarty-pants first came up with this.

    My wardrobe is pretty limited and rarely changes, but with this technique, there will be so many stunning headbands, no one will even notice.

    Thank you for the terrific tutorial. By the way, I found you through the fabulous Polly's Paper Studio blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. GORGEOUS. Thanks so much for the tutorial. Will definitely try it sometime.
    Hugs, Rosalee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the amazing & inspiring tutorial.
    What should be the approximate length of ribbon to be used at each side?
    I'm planning to make this with a printed ribbon on both of left sides and plain ribbons on right. Just wondering, where should I cut my ribbon?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The ribbon length needed really depends on the width of the headband you are using. If you use 36" - 40" of ribbon for each piece, you should have plenty. Once you do a few, you can decide if you can comfortably complete the headband with a little less ribbon.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear what you have to say